Friday, May 2, 2014

No place like London...

SO I decided I'd fulfill a childhood dream basically and go off to England, my first time in an anglophone country since January! And it was definitely something verrry different. London had a totally different vibe than any city I've ever been in and it kind of caught me by surprise. I was staying with my friend who goes to Regent's University and there were quite a lot of Americans there and a lot in London in general.
First I'm really proud of doing all this traveling by myself (Lyon, Dijon, London) and how much better I've gotten with directions/maps/getting around in general. I've improved by 50000% percent. But this was still a challenge, I would of gotten around and seen more if it wasn't for the tube strike. I also kind of underestimated distance as well, in Paris everything is so close versus here where things are a distance.
They weren't all completely closed just lots of delays and stations not opened. However, cleanest subway system I've ever evvvver been on, and quiet too AND no gypsies! I was amazed. 
Got off at Baker street where there's a statue of Sherlock Holmes of course, they also film the BBC series Sherlock on a flat near there




Exploring around Regent's park and the university





















In case someone falls in I guess?













The London eye!







Westminster Abbey















Yep, that's Buckingham Palace
































Royal Albert theatre & memorial
















The Globe Theatre





The lovely London bridge!



If it wasn't so foggy you'd be able to see the Tower of London right next to the bridge






And the HP studio tour!






Portraits of the Dursley's

The cupboard under the stairs!





THE GREAT HALL! Floor was built with stone you'd find in a real castle















Forever in love with Hermione's dress


Oh and then there is Ron's dress robes...



Wigs & costumes



The proclamations! 


The boy's gryfindoor dormitory



The fat lady and mirror or erised



Gryfindoor common room!








The detail in Dumbledore's office






SO much detail in all the portraits of the past headmasters, also: they're all asleep


Harry's first snitch, Philosophers/Sorcerer's stone

Goblet of Fire!










Hagrid's hut

Door to the chamber of secrets






Soooo basically brooms have seats on them all. I also got to fly on a broom it was neat




The burrow!


"Magic is Might"





Umbridges' "kitten plates"




Orbs from the department of mysteries, obviously not all props survive



"All destinations except underwater"





AH sometimes seeing this stuff I could just pictures the actors on there, like Lupin and Harry just talking

GENUINE butterbeer, it was perfect





These special effects are just crazy





And diagon alley!









Concept art and design







AND the main event, the model castle. Which is actually giant and beautiful















Each wand box is for a person who worked on the film series

I know have an even bigger appreciation for the film series that was my childhood and I think i'll watch them again. I'm so glad I went on the tour it was so worth it.




Got to have fish & chips at "Poppie's" apparently the best fish and chips in London, it was delicious.

Also got to drink Guinness at a very popular pub, The Rocket 
Yeah I though Platform 9 3/4 would be a little thing, but they had people to take your pictures and there was a huge crowd there.


Guilty: I had a pain aux chocolat and croissant in England and I got rather excited when I heard people that were speaking French, there were actually lots of French people around London


England was quite interesting, I got to experience the rage of British people firsthand because of the tube strike. A lady screaming at an information guy and another one who pushed me ended up kicking a bus and getting arrested... Those red double decker buses are regular city buses and not tourist buses. Also that exchange rate is killer! Pounds basically look like Hogwarts money to me though (why is 2 pence so big? and why is there a hexagon coin?). I love their slang/terms even though it's different take away vs. take out, mate, bin etc...
 I really liked London though, I'd definitely go back as there are more things I need to see there! Shout out to the lovely Angeleec for having me and letting me hang with her friends, she's awesome. 



No comments:

Post a Comment