Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mon chez moi

I remember when I had 100 some days left until home. Then weeks and months passed and now it's down to a few days. A semester technically longer than one at WMU in the spring but it's been the fastest semester ever and hands down the best experience of my life. It's been such a satisfying experience because I accomplished my goals and so much more, I've obviously progressed in french so much but also I've learned not just about the language but about myself and the world. I've never been so sure or comfortable with myself, now I carry myself differently. I was petrified the first day and now I can look at a map and get around any city with ease. It's been the fastest semester but also so long because I've done so much.


Spring in Besançon


Went back to the Citadel on Easter, and with my camera this time




So there was a guy giving a tour dressed up as Vauban (the guy who built the citadel in the 1600's) wig and all
A string duet

The citadel has museums but it's also a zoo



















That view!














A statue of Vauban

The library of Besançon

So today was my last full day here so I decided to just walk everywhere since it was a beautiful day




The old "École de l'Horlogerie" now a high school




Actually a fort that you don't have to climb a mountain to get to








Louis Pasteur







Historic brasserie where we ate with Dr. Reisch before leaving for Paris and where I also ate with Calvin for his birthday this week


















I just can't believe that it's just about over, I'm very much in denial about that because as much as there are bumps along the way I really like living in France. Studying abroad...I didn't really have expectations I didn't know what it would be like at all, but this trip has blown everything else out of the water. There's so much I'm going to miss because there's no equivalent in the US. There's art, history, and culture just about everywhere. The FOOD, cheese, obviously all the wine, THE BREAD, being able to go to french cafes. 

The people I've met here are absolutely amazing. First off the group of people that I came here with. Us broncos/Michiganders (plus Annie & Lauren). We started off not knowing each other and now we have a very special and interesting kind of bond.
Minus Kristen and Robbie because their flights got delayed


Amanda! Our lovely Canadian friend. It's obviously pretty easy to make Anglophone friends. Also: Calvin who helped us out when we first got to Besançon! Enjoy the rest of your time here. As well as Kara!
And thank you to my french tandem partner Jenifer, you were a joy to talk to in french and in english!

Then we all went to Paris together which was absolutely amazing, made possible by Dr. Joe Reish








Then there was my absolutely amazing host family-Sylvie & Julia. They were so welcoming and it helped so much with transitioning and definitely with my French. I'm going to miss them so much!
I went on some trips organized through the CLA with my classmates



And there's also my lovely classmates! We had dinner together this night with traditional Korean, Malaysian and Chinese food.


A special thank you to Angeleec for letting me stay with her in London! It was a blast

And our "family photo" I love these people!
I'm currently packing but this still hasn't all hit me yet, but I am beyond grateful for everything during this trip. It's been incredible. I'll be in Paris the next few days so stay tuned for that.
It's definitely not adieu but rather au revoir/à la prochaine Besançon
 Bisous,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment